Mondays are my Sunday. I spend the day being genuinely lazy, aside from food prep and the occasional load of laundry.
I use the time to have a HOT breakfast. I do love hot breakfast.
I had some stellar plans for dinner this Monday: WW Easy (Shrimp) Fried Rice.
But I didn’t have peas.
Or the will to go to the grocery store.
So I started scouring my favorite recipe sites for something I could make with what I had on hand. I ended up at skinnytaste.com, with guest appearances from emilybites.com and canyoustayfordinner.com.
With 1 lb of ground chicken defrosting on my countertop, I adapted Skinnytaste’s White Bean Turkey Chili recipe. It smelled fantastic cooking.
White Chicken Chili
Adapted from skinnytaste.com
- cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups of fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of light sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. When hot, spray with cooking spray. Add onions and garlic, sauté about 5 min.
- Add chicken and cook, breaking it up until white, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add beans, broth, cook uncovered about 10 minutes.
- Add bay leaf. Lower heat and cover, simmer about 30 minutes mixing occasionally.
- Add sour cream and cook 5 more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf.
**Garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired – will add extra points!**