Sorry it’s been a while. Sometimes, life gets in the way of blogging. Oh, the audacity.
Other times, you make a recipe you think will be great, and it’s only so-so.
Both of those things have happened in the past few weeks.
I went on vacation.
I had a birthday. (But you already knew that.)
My car broke down.
I signed up to fundraise and train with Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training again. Long Island Half Marathon, here I come. (Please donate if you can, it’s a great cause.)
And my Giants are going to the Superbowl!
So, dip will be had. I hope you will forgive my absence. Trust that I am working hard, and thinking of you. (And betting on the Giants – but that’s another blog.)
Lighter Bacon-Jalepeño Dip
Adapted from Food Network Magazine’s “50 Super Bowl Snacks”
- 4 oz Neufchatel Cheese
- 4 oz fat free cream cheese
- 4oz Cracker Barrel Jalepeño White Cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 4 slices 40% reduced sodium cooked bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 tsp bacon drippings
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Progresso Plain Panko
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix first nine ingredients well in an 8×8 baking dish. I used a hand mixer.
*If you want some EXTRA heat, you can put in a few teaspoons of minced jalepeño. I used Chi-Chi’s brand for my extra-heat version*
3. Sprinkle panko over the top of the mixture.
4. Bake approximately 30 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Spray with cooking spray, and place under broiler on high 1-2 minutes to brown the panko.
I suggest serving with some whole wheat pita chips (make them at home!), but you can serve with whatever you would like!